What are people objecting to these days? What’s their issue with Christianity? What do they find so objectionable that until we’ve heard it and dealt with it we’re not going to make any progress?
In preparation for a Passion for Life we’ve decided to have a 4 or 5 minute slot in each evening church meeting to tackle a common objection. We won’t be able to do very much in that time. But we could come up with a few helpful comments to difuse the unreasonable opposition to the gospel. Obviously we’d like to be scratching where people are itching. Our context is urban south London and so I’m aware that not everyone’s issues are our issues. And we may have our own issues! We might just have a niche market segment down in this stretch of the Northern Line.
But what sare teh common objections to considering the claims of Christianity?
This is the list I came up with.
- How do we know God exists?
- Why is Jesus different to other gods?
- Can’t you make the Bible say what you like?
- Don’t all religions lead to God?
- How can a God of love allow so much sufferings
- Why aren’t we acceptable to God as we are?
- Why is Christianity so hung up about sex?
- Hasn’t science disproved Christianity?
- Why don’t Christians practice what they preach?
What am I missing? What’s unnecessary? What are people objecting to these days?